Friday, August 3, 2018

My Bookshelf: Caught by Surprise by Jen Turano

After years of hiding her true nature, Miss Temperance Flowerdew is finally enjoying freedom outside of the shadow of her relations, so the last thing she expected on her way to work was to be grabbed off the street by a stranger and put on a train bound for Chicago.
When Mr. Gilbert Cavendish is called upon to rescue a missing woman, he follows the trail to Chicago only to discover that the woman is his good friend, Temperance. Before they can discover who was behind her abduction, they’re spotted alone together by a New York society matron, putting their reputations at risk.
Even though Gilbert is willing to propose marriage, Temperance is determined not to lose her newfound independence. But when the misunderstanding in Chicago escalates into a threat on her life, accepting Gilbert’s help in solving the mystery may lead to more than she ever could have dreamed.



Caught by Surprise is the third book in Jen Turano’s Apart from the Crowd series, coming after Behind the Scenes and Out of the Ordinary. I have been a huge fan of Jen’s ever since I first read one of her books years and years ago, and I have read everything she has written ever since. Honestly, I have to say, I think that this is my favorite series she has written so far, there is just something about it that has made me really enjoy it. Although, I always enjoy everything she writes. There is always the perfect mixture of romance, hilarity, and mystery, and I happen to be extremely fond of Jen’s writing style. And historical novels.
As I said in my review of the last book, I was waiting until I read Caught by Surprise before deciding which of the three books was my favorite in the series, and…that was a good idea. Because Caught by Surprise is DEFINITELY my favorite. Although I have absolutely loved every book in this series, I just couldn’t help but fall in love with Temperance and Gilbert, and I found their story to be even more irresistible than the others. There is just something about Temperance—maybe it is her great affinity for adventures, or the way she is completely happy when she’s truly herself, no matter what others think—that reminds her a little bit of me, and that made me love her all the more. So much about her joy, her true character that she heartily embraced once she found her independence that really inspired me, and reminded me of how I should always embrace myself as well and never be afraid to be truly me. And I just love characters who inspire me.
Another thing that I absolutely loved about this book was the mystery of it all. There were so many wonderful twists and turns, some unexpected, some I hoped would happen so in a way they were somewhat expected, both just as intriguing and just as perfect. The way they were constantly dodging threats, running from that first abduction and then all that came after, leant such a delightful amount of suspense—of the lighthearted variety—to the story, and I absolutely loved the way that Jen weaved it all together, especially with the numerous revelations that came with it. The plotline of this novel was just so perfectly mapped out; I couldn’t have imagined it any better myself, and that made it all that much more wonderful.
Not only that, but Gilbert is also one of my absolute favorite parts of this story. I absolutely loved watching how he grew as a character throughout the course of this book, and though I won’t spoil it for anyone, suffice it to say that even though I loved him at the beginning, I loved him all that much more at the end. He really is the perfect match for Temperance, and though I won’t spoil any part of that either, I absolutely loved how their story progressed, and especially how it ended. Besides that, the many parts that Permilia, Asher, Gertrude, and Hamilton played all throughout this book were just the perfect addition, and I loved getting to catch up with them since I have missed them in the time it’s been since I read their novels.
All in all, I absolutely loved this book. Caught by Surprise is the perfect conclusion to this series, and I cannot imagine it being any better. Jen did a phenomenal job of capturing these characters, and their stories, in a way I will not soon forget. I am so very glad that I have this book on my bookshelf, as I know it is one that I will read many more times in the years to come, and I cannot wait to lend it to all of my lovely reader friends. I highly recommend Caught by Surprise, and the rest of the series, to anyone who loves a good romance, an intriguing mystery, and a lot of laughter, and I can promise you that this book is one that you are sure to enjoy.
Happy reading!




I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Jen Turano and Bethany House Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment