Wednesday, May 18, 2016

My Bookshelf: Her One and Only by Becky Wade

        Gray Fowler, star NFL tight end, is being pursued by a stalker, so his team hires a protection agency to keep Gray under the watch of a bodyguard at all times. When Gray meets Dru Porter, an agent assigned to him, he’s indignant. How can an attractive young female half his size possibly protect him?
        But Dru’s a former Marine, an expert markswoman, and a black belt. She’s also ferociously determined to uncover the identity of Gray’s stalker. And she’s just as determined to uncover the identity of Gray’s stalker. And she’s just as determined to avoid any kind of romantic attachment between herself and the rugged football player with the mysterious past. But the closer they get to finding the stalker, the closer they grow to each other. As the danger rises, can Dru and Gray entrust their hearts—and their lives—to one another?



        Her One and Only is the fourth book in Becky Wade’s Porter Family series, coming after Undeniably Yours, Meant to Be Mine, and A Love Like Ours. I’ve been a big fan of Becky’s ever since I read the first page of Undeniably Yours, so I have to confess, I was a little disappointed with this novel. I really, really, really loved all three of the previous novels, so I was taken aback when it took me over two hundred pages to really get into this story. It’s not that it wasn’t good, or that it wasn’t well written or an interesting plotline, something about it just didn’t really click for me until I really got into the thick of the search for Gray’s stalker. Honestly, my favorite parts about the whole first half of the book were all of the times when it cut to Meg’s perspective and focused on her and Bo and the babies, which has nothing to do with either Gray or Dru.
        On the other hand, Gray and Dru’s banter definitely kept me laughing for the majority of this book, and I really loved Dru as a person. Her toughness and spunk were things I definitely admired about her and I couldn’t help but think she was by far one of the most daring women I have ever encountered. The way she constantly put her clients’ lives before her own is remarkable, and I really did love finally getting to hear her story after being introduced to her back in the first book when her brothers had to rescue her from one of her then-constant scrapes.
        As well as that, Gray was a wonderful character too. His painful past continued to cause him a lot of hurt and heartache, but he pushed past that to a point and was able to be a kind, caring human being, and man we he an amazing athlete. I wish we had more football players like him. As an avid football fan myself, I have to say I was very pleased that it was his profession, and that he was very, very good at it. I can’t help but fall for the football-player-type, I’ve tried but I fail miserably every time, of there was no stopping me when it came to Gray. I couldn’t help but love him, especially as the book really got ahold of my attention and I started seeing all the intricacies of Gray.
        All in all, I really did enjoy this book, and I absolutely loved the ending and of course cried a bit over Meg and Bo, so I definitely can still give it four out of five bookshelves. There was just something about it at the beginning that didn’t click for me, and I hate that I have to say that but it’s true and there’s no way I can lie to you in my review. However, I clearly still am a huge fan of Becky’s, and cannot wait until she has even more books coming out!
        Happy reading!


Her One and Only Becky Wade
Check out a giveaway for this book here

I received a copy of this book through the Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

Photo credits go to my sister, Allie, whose blog you can visit here.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Becky Wade and Bethany House Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment