Monday, April 11, 2016

My Bookshelf: The Reluctant Duchess by Rosanna M. White

Will fleeing the Scottish Highlands only leave her in more danger?
        Lady Rowena Kinnaird may be the heiress to a Highland earldom, but she’s never felt good enough—not for her father, not for the man she thought she’d marry, not for God. But after a shocking attack, she’s willing to be forever an outcast if it means escaping those threatening her life.
        Brice Myerston, the Duke of Nottingham, has never been one to shy away from manor-born ladies, yet the last thing he needs is the distraction of the newly introduced Lady Rowena. He has enough on his plate having recently come into possession of a rare treasure for which many would kill, yet those around him seem intent on pairing him with this desperate but beguiling girl.
        Rowena is reluctant to marry this notorious flirt. And when she learns that Brice is mixed up in some kind of questionable business with a stolen treasure, she fear she’ll end up in more danger than she fled.


        The Reluctant Duchess is the second book in Roseanna M. White’s Ladies of the Manor series, coming after The Lost Heiress. I have been a huge fan of Roseanna’s ever since I stumbled upon her Culper Ring series a couple of years ago, so I was extremely excited when she started this series. Clearly, I absolutely loved the first book, and I had been dying for this installment to release ever since I read the first one, which I finished just days after it came out. It was a long wait, and I had already fallen in love with Brice when I was introduced to him earlier which made me sure this one would be wonderful as well, so I actually screamed when this book arrived on my doorstep. Fortunately, I can say I wasn’t in the least bit disappointed.
        I felt for Rowena Kinnaird throughout the entirety of this novel. She faced so much at the hands of her father and the man she had always imagined she would marry, and that took an incredible toll on her, emotionally as well as physically. At the first, though, I knew she would be perfect for Brice, so I was rooting for them from the beginning. I knew he would be able to help her through her brokenness, and they just made for the perfect match in every way. I never thought I would like her as much as Brook (from the first novel); however, she definitely came very close.
        On the other hand, I knew I loved Brice Myerston. From the very beginning of his friendship with Justin and Brook, I knew he would be my favorite hero, so I was ecstatic when I found out Roseanna was going to tackle his story next. Yes, he has his flaws, but otherwise he is the absolute perfect gentleman, and I’m so sad that I’ve already finished his story! His kindness, his patience, his close relationship to the Lord all make him incredibly dreamy, so I have to wonder why Rowena was so reluctant to marry him at first. Well, because I know her side of the story too, I do understand to a certain degree, but still.
        I absolutely loved all of the twists and turns to this story! There were just the perfect number of unexpected events, just the perfect amount of suspense, and just the perfect amount of romance to make this a novel I’m already anticipating reading again. I loved how everything worked out in the end, even though I’m absolutely dying over the bit of a cliffhanger of an ending. And I cannot wait for the next novel, A Lady Unrivaled! I’m so glad that Roseanna is going to tell Brice’s sister Ella’s story, and I’m also extremely excited that it will also feature Lord Cayton! Even though he wasn’t portrayed in the best of lights in the first novel, I still loved him from the start, and I loved him even more after all that was revealed about him in this book.
        All in all, I loved, loved, loved this novel, and I am so glad I own a copy of it! I know I will be reading it over and over in the years to come, and I cannot imagine not giving it a permanent place on my all-time favorites list. Clearly, I’ve already given it all five bookshelves, and I can promise you it comes highly recommended because I just know everyone will love it. Or at least I think they should. How can you not?! This is by far one of my most favorite novels, but then, aren’t all of Roseanna’s books? I absolutely love her writing, and this book is no exception.
        Happy reading!


I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

Photo credits go to my wonderful sister, Allie, whose blog you can visit here.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Roseanna M. White and Bethany House Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment