Tuesday, April 26, 2016

My Bookshelf: A Dream of Miracles by Ruth Reid

Mattie is at opposition with Bo before they even meet. And the stirrings of love are overshadowed by the need for a miracle to heal a young boy.
        Widow Mattie Diener’s son is terribly sick, and she doesn’t know why. At her wit’s end, she takes him to the local hospital, except a city doctor is filling in for the usual physician. When the new doctor accuses Mattie of child abuse because of the boy’s mysterious symptoms, Mattie’s nightmare turns from bad to worse.
        Bo Lambright works for social services and is assigned to the case. Even though he believes in his heart that Mattie is innocent, he is required to investigate the boy’s symptoms.
        Mattie checks her son out of the hospital against medical advice, but is arrested. Bo ends up bailing her out, but she feels she can’t trust him because of the horrible accusations, and she would never harm her children. Meanwhile, Bo is having dreams that seem crazy but might actually be the answer to all of their prayers.


        A Dream of Miracles is the third book in Ruth Reid’s Amish Wonders series, coming after A Miracle of Hope and A Woodland Miracle. Although I didn’t get the chance to read the second installment, I did read the first, and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I was pretty eagerly anticipating this novel because I was hoping it would be as good as the first, but I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. Now, don’t get me wrong, I did enjoy this book, but I’m trying to write an honest review and in order for it to be honest I need to say that I didn’t exactly love it. It was a cute little story that I definitely don’t regret reading, and the ending was sweet and happy. I wasn’t really bored through the whole thing; there were a decent number of twists and turns I didn’t exactly see coming, I just didn’t love this story. I’m not really sure what it is about it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to really get into it.
        Mattie Diener has faced so much sorrow in her young life, and she’s stressed to no end that her little Nathan is sick once again. Ushering him to the hospital even though she doesn’t really want to, Mattie is surprised to find their trusted physician isn’t there to see her son. His replacement is absolutely nothing like him and has no idea of Nathan’s history, and therefore is concerned for Nathan’s welfare because Mattie wasn’t fully aware of all his symptoms. After the new doctor admits them, Mattie is afraid of all the questions from the social worker sent in, and worried for her son, so she chooses to return home to care for him better there. Unfortunately, that begins a series of events that spirals out of control, landing Mattie in jail and her children in locations she isn’t allowed to know, with Nathan desperately fighting for his life. Will everything get back to normal, or is Mattie headed for even more unimaginable sorrow?
        I have to say, I really did love both Mattie and Bo. More Bo than Mattie, but I think that might be because he’s a little bit more real of a character. Either way, I really did enjoy their story and the way that they came together when everything happened with Nathan being in the hospital and Mattie being in jail. And Bo was just adorable with Mattie’s younger daughter Amanda. They really were the perfect foursome, though I can’t tell you what actually happens with all of them.
        All in all, I did like this story, and I really enjoyed the ending and all that happened, so I can happily give this book four out of five bookshelves. I wish that I could give it more, especially considering how much I loved the first novel, but I just didn’t love this book that much. Even still, I do recommend it, and the other books in the series as well. I love reading about miracles, and each one of these books features one, so you can’t go wrong!
        Happy reading!


I received a copy of this book from the Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

Photo credits go to my talented sister, Allie, whose blog you can visit here.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Ruth Reid and Thomas Nelson Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment