Tuesday, October 18, 2016

My Bookshelf: A Talent for Trouble by Jen Turano

For years, Miss Felicia Murdock’s every though and action have been in pursuit of becoming a minister’s wife. When the minister she’d set her sights on has other ideas, she decides something in her life needs a change—and soon—before she wastes any more time pretending to be someone she’s not. If that means spreading her wings and embracing a more lively way of life, who’s to say nay?
Grayson Sumner, Lord Sefton, has had more than enough of spreading his wings and only hopes to settle into the life of a respectable New York gentleman. Prompted by some friends to lift the spirits of the disappointed-in-love Miss Murdock, he is surprised to encounter an adventurous young lady with an unfortunate knack for stumbling into troublesome situations.
Just as Grayson decides he’s had quite enough of her antics, his past comes back to haunt him and his presence in Felicia’s life endangers her. As they work together to extricate themselves from this latest complication, will Grayson and Felicia decide they want to spend the rest of their lives keeping one another out of trouble?


A Talent for Trouble is the third book in Jen Turano’s Ladies of Distinction series, coming after A Change of Fortune and A Most Peculiar Circumstance. I’ve been meaning to read this book for a really long time, and I’m so glad that I finally was able to pick it up! Ever since I purchased it a while back I’ve been dying to finally finish the series I started reading years ago, but I wanted to re-read the first two installments so I was waiting for a time when I would finally be able to. Now that I’ve devoured them again, I’ve remembered how much I love this series, so I was even more excited to read this book, as well as the fourth and final installment. And I must say, Jen did not disappoint, as A Talent for Trouble is now my favorite book in the series so far!
Felicia Murdock is such a sweet, compassionate, and somewhat troublesome woman! I already knew I loved her from the moment I met her in the first novel, even though I knew her to be a little eccentric, and that love has only deepened now that I’ve read her story. I absolutely love her kindhearted spirit and her love for adventure, and the way she is overly confident in her abilities to do anything, even when she knows she isn’t actually accomplished at any of them. That made for quite a few hilarious circumstances, especially the ones that Grayson was present for.
Grayson Sumner is by far my favorite male character of the whole series, even after I have learned all of the not-so-pleasant details of his past. Although he might be a little rough around the edges, he is also a sweet, caring, thoughtful man who is absolutely perfect for Felicia, and who I couldn’t help loving. He also made me laugh far too much on more than one occasion, mainly the times he was commenting on Felicia’s talents—or lack thereof—with regards to things such as driving or singing or cooking. But it was the way that he cared for his daughter Ming, and the orphan children he eventually takes under his wing, that I loved most about him. Although he claimed he knew nothing about being a father, he really did a wonderful job of parenting the children in her care.
All in all, I absolutely loved this book, and I already cannot wait to read it again! I’m super excited to finish the next book in the series, and I am looking forward to the day when I can read more of Jen’s novels (she just hasn’t released any more yet, but she has her first contemporary novel coming out next month and another historical one next year). She is an absolutely fantastic author who does a wonderful job of writing novels that will transport you to a different time and place and make you laugh until your sides hurt, and I am pleased to call her one of my favorite authors! A Talent for Trouble easily earned all five bookshelves, and a place on my all-time favorites list, just like I knew it would!
Happy reading!




To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Jen Turano and Bethany House Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment