Tuesday, October 11, 2016

My Bookshelf: The Mistress of Tall Acre by Laura Frantz

There can only be one mistress of Tall Acre…
The American Revolution is finally over, and Sophie Menzies is starved for good news. When her nearest neighbor, General Seamus Ogilvy, finally comes home to Tall Acre, she hopes it is a sign of better days to come. But the general is now a widower with a small daughter in desperate need of a mother. Nearly destitute, Sophie agrees to marry Seamus and become the mistress of Tall Acre in what seems a safe, sensible arrangement. But when a woman from the general’s past returns without warning the ties that bind this fledgling family together will be strained to the utmost. When all is said and done, who will be the rightful mistress of Tall Acre?


The Mistress of Tall Acre is Laura Frantz’s most recent stand-alone novel, and is a book that I am so completely and utterly glad that I bought recently. I absolutely LOVE every single part of this book, and am actually seriously tempted to just turn around and read it again today. It really was that good, plus I didn’t expect hardly anything that happened throughout the course of this book! There were so many wonderful twists and turns to this story, and I didn’t realize any of them were coming, but they made this novel all that much more amazing. I’ve already been a fan of Laura’s since I read The Colonel’s Lady a while back, but I love The Mistress of Tall Acre even more, which is hard to believe since The Colonel’s Lady is already on my all-time favorites list.
Sophie Menzies stole my heart from the very beginning. She is so sweet, and has struggled so much by the time we reach her at the start of this novel, that I couldn’t help loving her and longing for things to get better in her life. Besides that, I absolutely loved the way she seemed to love Seamus right from the start. Theirs was an absolutely adorable and extremely hardship-ridden relationship, but I absolutely loved every second of it. Along with that, I just loved Sophie even more for how she immediately took Seamus’ daughter Lily Cate under her wing, and how she handled all of the terrible situations that were thrown at the three of them.
General Seamus Ogilvy was another character I loved from the very beginning. Although he is definitely a little rough around the edges, he had gone through some of the worst situations you can imagine in his past, and he does have a heart of gold inside. His devotion to his little daughter was by far the sweetest thing, and I loved watching his feelings for Sophie grow and develop. Besides that, it was just enjoyable to watch his hurting heart heal through Sophie’s care and the love of his daughter, and I just overall really, really enjoyed this story and his part in it.
All in all, as if you couldn’t already tell, I absolutely LOVED this book. I love the story, and I loved the unexpected events that filled it and the way that it worked out in the end, and I cannot imagine not giving it all five bookshelves. It also has a permanent place on my all-time favorites list, and I am so, so glad that I decided to buy it. Laura does a wonderful job, as usual, of weaving together a story that will touch your heart and keep you turning every page, and I cannot imagine this story being any better than it was. Clearly I highly recommend it!
Happy reading!



To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Laura Frantz and Revell Publishing.

2 comments:

  1. You are not only a gifted photographer but a very gifted reviewer. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for purchasing Sophie's story, crating such a lovely review, & sharing how much you enjoyed your time at Tall Acre! You are the reason I write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! I really enjoyed all of it, and I love when I get to review books that I really enjoyed!

      Delete