Friday, October 21, 2016

A Match of Wits by Jen Turano

After his departure from New York two years ago to meet up with his almost-fiancée, Zayne Beckett is the last person Agatha Watson wanted to stumble upon in her travels as a reporter with the New York Tribune. Quite pathetically bedraggled, he clearly needs to be taken in hand and sent back East to his family. Although she no longer has feelings for him, Agatha realizes, by hook or by crook, she’ll have to be the one to get the obstinate man home.
Zayne has no desire to be taken anywhere and is prepared to drag his heels all the way home…until he finds himself slipping back into the familiar banter of his former friendship with Agatha. Once they arrive in New York, Zayne realizes Agatha’s determined nose for news has earned her a few enemies, and he hopes to repay her help with some help of his own. When she rebuffs all his attempts to prove himself a knight in shining armor, the lengths to which they’ll go to win this battle of wills lead to some memorable antics.
Everyone else may think them a match, but nothing could be further from the truth—until Agatha finds herself in real trouble. Have these two stubborn, too-smart-for-their-own-good people been meant for each other all along?

 

A Match of Wits is the fourth book in Jen Turano’s Ladies of Distinction series, coming after A Change of Fortune, A Most Peculiar Circumstance, and A Talent for Trouble. I have absolutely loved every single book in this series, and A Match of Wits is no exception! Jen always does a fantastic job of weaving together hilarious and adventurous tales with just the perfect amount of romance and Jesus, so I knew I would love this book from the beginning. I have yet to be disappointed with one of her novels, and am usually actually somehow taken by surprise when they continually get better and better.
Agatha Watson is such a wonderful character! She has so much passion for her writing and always telling the truth through the stories she composes, even though her pursuit of such stories usually lands her in far too many scrapes. That makes for continuously hilarious, and suspenseful, situations, which involve quite a few different people who have to come to her rescue. One of my favorites—other than Zayne of course—is Mr. Blackheart, her bodyguard. He was just so funny, even though he didn’t try to be, and I loved watching him come around, from being irritated by Agatha’s escapades to actually considering her a friend. Which was a good decision for him because Agatha is the best type of person to have around.
Zayne Beckett irritated me a little bit at the beginning of this novel, because of the way he let himself go after his accident and the way things went down with Helena, but I had already loved him from the beginning, so I couldn’t stay mad at him long. He is a wonderful man, although a little misguided when it comes to women, and does have good intentions at heart.
All in all, I really loved this book, and I’m so glad I’ve finally been able to finish this series, although I wish it didn’t have to come to an end! Jen did a fantastic job of writing four amazing novels that were completely captivating from day one, and I’m already looking forward to reading them again! I highly recommend this series, and I suggest you keep an eye out for Finding Margo, which releases in November, and Behind the Scenes, which releases in April!
Happy reading!



To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page!


All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Jen Turano and Bethany House Publishers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment