Friday, July 22, 2016

The Imposter by Suzanne Woods Fisher

A heart once deceived should not be easily fooled again…
Katrina Stoltzfus thought she had life and love all figured out: she was going to marry John and live happily ever after. But as her plans crumble before her eyes, she struggles to face an uncertain future. When a widow asks for help starting a new business, Katrina quickly agrees. She needs time to heal her broken heart, to untangle her messy life, to find a purpose.
What she doesn’t need is attention from Andy Miller, a farmhand who arrives at the widow’s farm just when help is most needed—and who always seems to say the right thing and be in the right place, at the right time. Is Andy for real or too good to be true? She’s been deceived once before, and she isn’t planning on experiencing it again.



The Imposter is the first book in Suzanne Woods Fisher’s The Bishop’s Family series, but definitely isn’t the first book I have ever read by her. I’ve read many of her other Amish books in the past and really enjoyed each of them, so I was pretty excited to read this novel. As soon as I started it, I was sucked in and found myself trying to figure out all that was going to happen, though I was definitely thrown for a loop more than once with some of the very unexpected turns this story took. I enjoyed every one of them though, as well as this whole story, because there were so many things to keep me captivated and guessing.
Katrina Stoltzfus is still struggling to heal after two different wrecks: a buggy accident she and her mother were in, and the train wreck of a long-distance relationship she had with her boyfriend, John. As a way of coping, she distracts herself by taking a job helping a widow with her new business, where she finds she actually enjoys her work. Before long, however, her life is turned upside down once again, and she finds herself wondering if she can truly move on, or if she really can count on the friendship Andy Miller is only too happy to provide.
The Imposter focuses on three other characters as well as Katrina: her father, David Stoltzfus, her brother Jesse, and their neighbor Birdy Glick. I really enjoyed reading all the different scenes from each of their perspectives, and I felt the varying focus gave new light to the story and all that went on. I definitely enjoyed all the different facets of this tale, and am really excited to read the next book in the series.
All in all, I really liked this book, though there were a few times it was just a little too slow for my tastes. I can happily give it four out of five bookshelves, though, and would still highly recommend this book. There are so many wonderfully sweet scenes packed into the pages of this novel, and I was ready to start the next book—The Quieting—just as soon as I put this one down. I have to read a book for Tuesday’s My Bookshelf post first, but then I will be devouring that novel as well!
Happy reading!



To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.


All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Suzanne Woods Fisher and Revell Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment