Tuesday, July 5, 2016

My Bookshelf: No Other Will Do by Karen Witemeyer

She trusts him for the job, but can she trust him with her heart?
        Men are optional. That was the credo Emma Chandler’s suffragette aunts taught her and why she established Harper’s Station, a women’s colony that offers a fresh start to females in need. But when a dangerous and shadowy assailant tries repeatedly to drive the women out, Emma is forced to admit they might need a man after all. One who can fight. And there is only one man she trusts enough to ask.
        Malachi Shaw has finally earned the respect he’s always craved by becoming an explosives expert for the railroad. Yet when Emma’s telegram arrives, he rushes back to Texas to repay the girl who once saved his life. Only she’s not a girl any longer. She’s a woman with a mind of her own and a smile that makes a man imagine a future he doesn’t deserve.
        As the danger intensifies, Emma, Mal, and the ladies of Harper’s Station must choose safety or whether to risk everything to fight for their future.

        No Other Will Do is the first book in Karen Witemeyer’s Women of Harper's Station series, but definitely isn’t the first book I have ever read by her. Of the eight full-length novels she has published, I’ve read all of them but one, and every single one I’ve read has ended up on my all-time favorites list. The ironic thing is, I actually own only three of her novels, one of which is the one I haven’t read. But believe me, I will get to it as soon as I’m able because I am really excited to read it. Anyway, that’s not what this post is about, it’s about No Other Will Do and how utterly amazing it was. Of course, I expected it to be fantastic, but I never anticipated it would make me melt through absolutely every chapter. I fell in love with this story from the very first word of the very first page of the prologue, and I couldn’t put this book down until I made it to the end. There are so many scenes, so many interactions, so many parts I wish I could tell you all about so that you can love them just as much as I do, but I won’t. I’ll just leave it at that, and tell you that there is so much in store for you when you read this book.
        Emma Chandler is by far one of my favorite characters out of all of Karen’s books. Thanks to the suffragette aunts who raised her, she is extremely independent and knows how to take care of herself, but she is also an amazing leader who knows how to care for the women in her colony, and who always puts their needs before her own. And I also just really love young Emma, the one we meet in the prologue. She is just so sweet, and so full of spunk, and I love all that she does for Malachi in those early days. I really love Emma during the whole book, though, and I feel fairly sure that we would definitely be friends.
        Malachi Shaw is definitely one of my favorite characters of all time in the history of ever. He is so kind, so caring, and so rough and untamed, and I just love that combination. I couldn’t help but adore him as soon as I learned of his humble beginnings, and as the book went on, I ended up loving him more and more. He is so completely perfect, and I can’t get enough of his love for Emma! His secret pet name for her… oh my word I can’t even stand it! I melt into a little puddle every time they interact, and I also love the budding romance between two of the other characters in this novel.
        All in all, this novel is absolutely fantastic, and I’m already wishing I could read it again. I absolutely love Karen’s writing, and I couldn’t help falling in love with these characters and their story. There’s no way I could ever give this novel anything less than all five bookshelves, especially since it’s already on my all-time favorites list. I’m so glad I own a copy of this book, because I know I’ll be reading it again in the future, and I’ll definitely be lending it to some of my reader friends. The ending of this book was to die for, especially the last scene between Emma and Mal, and I am having to hold myself down to finish this post rather than running upstairs and grabbing this book so that I can read the ending again. I highly recommend this book, as you can tell, because it is absolutely fantastic, and I can pretty much guarantee you won’t be disappointed!
        Happy reading!


Oh, and don't forget, my sister and I are starting a brand new linkup! And guess what!!! It starts this coming Monday! Get excited, because we are, and plan to be here next Monday!


I received a copy of this book from the author and publisher in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

Photo credits go to my talented sister, Allie, whose blog you can visit here.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Karen Witemeyer and Bethany House Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment