Friday, March 11, 2016

A Love Like Ours by Becky Wade

        Former Marine Jake Porter has far deeper scars than the one that marks his face. He struggles with symptoms of PTSD, lives a solitary life, and avoids relationships.
        When Lyndie James, Jake’s childhood best friend, lands back in Holley, Texas, Jake cautiously hires her to exercise his Thoroughbreds. Lyndie is tender-hearted, fiercely determined, and afraid of nothing, just like she was as a child. Jake pairs her with Silver Leaf, a horse full of promise but lacking in results, hoping she can solve the mystery of the stallion’s reluctance to run.
        Though Jake and Lyndie have grown into very different adults, the bond that existed during their childhood still ties them together. Against Jake’s will, Lyndie’s sparkling, optimistic personality begins to tear down the walls he’s built around his heart. A glimmer of the hope he thought he’s lost returns, but fears and regrets still plague him. Will Jake ever be able to love Lyndie like she deserves, or is his heart to shattered to mend?


        A Love Like Ours is the third book in Becky Wade’s Porter Family series, coming after Undeniably Yours and Meant to Be Mine. I cannot tell you in words just how much I loved the first two books in this series, and how much I love the Porter boys in general, so I was absolutely dying to read this novel. Did I mention I read all three of these books in just three days? Well, all I can say is, spring break is a wonderful gift. Anyway, Becky is one of the most amazing, talented writers I have ever encountered, and I know that I am going to be a faithful fan of hers from this day forward. I am absolutely dying for her to write more books, because once I read My Stubborn Heart, I will have read every one of her full length novels, which is a bit of a problem since I can’t get enough of them!
        Lyndie James is one of my favorite heroines of all time. I know that I say that fairly often, but I really mean it this time, partly because I really felt like I had quite a few things in common with her. I do love horses, but I haven’t been around them very much yet, so that’s not really what I feel connects us. It’s the writing and painting. I don’t write and illustrate children’s books, but I do write whenever I can, and I do love to paint, so I felt close to Lyndie immediately. On top of that, I absolutely loved her caring nature, the part of her that made her take in little hurt animals all through her childhood, and caused her to long to help Jake the minute she laid eyes on him after their twenty year separation. She treats him with more patience and tenderness than I ever could imagine, and I cannot help but admire her and hope that I could someday have half the amount of those qualities she has.
        Jake Porter is one of my favorite Porter brothers. Rather than loving him despite his dark and gloomy exterior, I love him because of all the he has been through and how it has changed him. I have mentioned numerous times that I tend to be fond of the slightly “bad boy” types, but what I haven’t mentioned is I also cannot help loving hurting and broken men who are just trying to find a way out. The thing I love about him the most, however, is his intense protective instinct, especially when it comes to Lyndie. When they were little, he made it his job to protect her with everything in him, and that hasn’t changed despite the years that have passed and the pain he now harbors.
        Although I cannot say that this book is my favorite of the three; I have melted through each one a fairly equal amount though for slightly different reasons because of each unique situation, but I will say that A Love Like Ours does have a permanent place on my all-time favorites list. I gladly give it all five bookshelves, and I cannot wait for the day when I own all of the books in this series. I am going to keep an eye out for a time when I might be able to purchase these that I have already read, and when their sister Dru’s story comes out in May, I am positive I will pre-order it so that I can read it as soon as possible. Though I am a little disappointed that there isn’t another Porter brother to read about, I am sure that Dru’s book will showcase Becky’s fabulous writing just as well as the first three books, so I’m still excited to read it. And, I highly recommend all of Becky’s books, especially this one, to anyone!
        Happy reading!


To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Becky Wade and Bethany House Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment