Thursday, October 22, 2015

The Midwife’s Tale by Delia Parr

        Martha Cade comes from a long line of midwives who have served the families of Trinity, Pennsylvania, for generations. A widow with two grown children, she’s hopeful that her daughter will follow in her footsteps, but when Victoria runs off, Martha’s world is shattered.
        Worse, a new doctor has arrived in town, threatening her job, and she can’t remember a time when her faith has been tested more. Still determined to do the work she knows God intended for her, Martha is unprepared for all that waits ahead. Whether it’s trying to stop a town scandal, mending broken relationships, or feeling the first whispers of an unexpected romance, she faces every trial and every opportunity with hope and faith.


        The Midwife’s Tale is the first book in Delia Parr’s At Home in Trinity series, and is the first book I have ever read by her. I have to say, I love, love, loved this book! Delia is one author I am so glad I took a chance on! Since I had never read any of her books, I wasn’t sure if this novel would be good or not (unfortunately I’ve taken a few chances on books this year that have turned out to be not so great), but I heard wonderful things about it, so I thought I would give it a try, and I’m so glad I did! Delia really did an amazing job of weaving together this tale of love and loss, triumph and heartache that captivated me from the first page to the last.
        At first, I was a little worried that it would be difficult for me to really relate to Martha Cade, since she is a mother of two pretty-much-grown children and I am not near old enough to be the parent of a preteen, much less grown children. However, it didn’t take me very long at all to feel as if Martha and I were old friends, and I really enjoyed getting to journey on with her through her struggle of having her daughter run away, her midwifery practice be in jeopardy because of a new doctor in town, and her returning feelings for her old flame. She turned out to be much easier to relate to than I thought she would, and I am already eagerly anticipating reading the next two books in the series. Although I have to say, Martha’s story was far from being resolved by the end of this novel, so it’s kind of a given that I would be ready to read the next two as well.
        I really cannot find the words to say how much I truly loved this book. It was so full of all the things that make a novel wonderful, such as a blossoming romance—even though it may have been more like a rekindling of an old flame—a little bit of mystery, and a lot of drama, and I just found it so completely enjoyable. I feel like I cannot accurately describe what I really loved about this book without spoiling it, so I will just leave it at that, but know that I don’t hesitate even the slightest bit to give it all five bookshelves, and I know that I will be reading the rest of the series as soon as it comes out. I highly recommend this book to pretty much anyone, but then, I recommend everything that manages to make it on my all-time favorites list (honestly though, it isn’t that difficult for books to get on that list, considering My Absolute Favorites list on Goodreads has over 130 books on it). All that is to say, The Midwife’s Tale is an amazing book, and I highly recommend that you read it. As soon as possible. Because you’re going to love it.

        Happy reading!


All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Delia Parr and Bethany House Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment