Friday, July 8, 2016

Miracle in a Dry Season by Sarah Loudin Thomas

In a drought, it’s the darkest cloud that brings hope.
It’s 1954 and Perla Long’s arrival in the sleepy town of Wise, West Virginia, was supposed to go unnoticed. She just wants a quiet, safe place for her and her daughter, Sadie, where the mistakes of her past can stay hidden. But then drought comes to Wise, and Perla is pulled into the turmoil of a town desperately in need of a miracle.
Casewell Phillips has resigned himself to life as a bachelor…until he meets Perla. She’s everything he’s sought in a woman, but he can’t get past the sense that she’s hiding something. As the drought worsens, Perla’s unique gift divides the town in two, bringing both gratitude and condemnation, and placing the pair in the middle of a storm of anger and forgiveness, fear and faith.



Miracle in a Dry Season is the first book in Sarah Loudin Thomas’ Appalachian Blessings series, and is also the first book I have ever read by her. I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect going in, but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by this novel. I actually really enjoyed this sweet story, and will have to add Sarah to my list of favorite authors. She did a fantastic job of tying this story together, and I loved how she weaved in miracles, the drought, and Perla’s gift. It really made for a very interesting plotline that kept me captivated until the very end, especially since there were a few unexpected twists and turns there near the end.
Perla Long is definitely a very sweet character, and I couldn’t help but love her and feel so much compassion towards her situation, especially since she felt so down upon herself because of other’s—somewhat wrong—opinions of her. She does her best though, by Sadie, and her aunt and uncle, and everyone else around her, and I really admire her for that. Her love and compassion for others made her all that much more lovable of a character, and that only helped to make this story that much more enjoyable.
Casewell Phillips is also a wonderful character. Though he does take a while to come around when it comes to Perla, he most certainly makes up for it in the end, and I couldn’t help but loving him no matter what his struggles. He proved to be a wonderfully sweet character who truly cared for those around him, especially his parents, and I really loved watching his love for Perla grow as the story progressed.
All in all, I really enjoyed this story, and can’t imagine giving it anything other than all five bookshelves. I really enjoyed the way this story progressed, and by the time I had finished this novel, I couldn’t wait to read the second book in the series. I’ve already finished it, if that is any indication as to how excited I was for it. Anyway, I’d highly recommend this novel, as it is super sweet and captivating, and I can’t wait to read even more novels by Sarah in the future!
Happy reading!



To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.


All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Sarah Loudin Thomas and Bethany House Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment