Monday, June 6, 2016

My Bookshelf: A Daughter’s Dream by Shelley Shepard Gray

        Rebecca Kinsinger has always dreamed of being a teacher. But when she’s given the opportunity she’s been waiting for at Charm Amish School, she’s dismayed to discover that teaching is hard work—work she’s afraid she’s not very good at.
        That is, until Lilly Yoder joins the class. A thirteen-year-old who’s just lost her parents, Lilly is in need of someone like Rebecca. For the first time since starting her new job, Rebecca feels a sense of purpose. But when she meets Lilly’s uncle, Jacob, his good looks and sweet, easygoing temperament are hard to ignore. How can she even entertain romantic thoughts of Jacob when his niece is her student?
        Suddenly becoming Lilly’s sole caregiver, Jacob Yoder never thought he’d be a single parent—or a farmer. Having been living in Florida as a carpenter, Jacob feels more at home wielding a hammer than a backhoe. The only bright spot in his life is Rebecca Kinsinger. As Lilly and Rebecca develop a bond, Jacob’s fondness for the pretty teacher grows, too.
        But when a fateful accident brings them together, Rebecca and Jacob must choose between duty and desire. Will they follow the path before them? Or set out to find true happiness…and true love?


        A Daughter’s Dream is the second book in Shelley Shepard Gray’s The Charmed Amish Life series, coming after A Son’s Vow. I definitely enjoyed the first novel, to a degree, but it was a little lacking in my opinion, especially since I had just read Shelley’s FANTASTIC Chicago World’s Fair Mystery series. I really loved every second of that series, so I was disappointed when the writing in A Son’s Vow fell a little flat for me. Anyway, I did enjoy this new installment quite a bit more than the first novel, as there were so many things constantly happening that kept me captivated, and so many sweet moments between either Rebecca and Jacob, Lilly and Peter, or Rachel and Marcus, that I couldn’t help really enjoying this novel.
        Rebecca Kinsinger is definitely an energetic, runs-headfirst-into-anything-she-sets-her-mind-to type of person. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, it just makes for some interesting adventures as she tries her hand at teaching. At the same time, though, she is a smart, hardworking, and kind individual, which definitely makes her one of my favorite characters in this book.
        Another one of my favorite characters has to be Jacob. The way he uprooted his life back in Florida to be there for his niece when she needed him most is the sweetest thing, and I couldn’t help but love him. He was also completely adorable when it comes to Rebecca, and I loved his desire to put others needs before his dreams. I definitely enjoyed reading his story more than Lukas’ (the first book), but I will say I do still love Lukas as well.
        The other two of my favorite characters has to be Lilly and Peter. Their little “friendship” is completely adorable, and I loved reading about the way he dotes on her. He just so happened to be exactly what she needed as she dealt with losing her parents and moving to a new place, going to a new school, and meeting new people. I couldn’t help but love Lilly because she is sweet and adorable and smart as a whip, but I couldn’t help loving Peter because of his kindness, compassion, and loving attitude towards Lilly.
        All in all, I definitely enjoyed this book, though there were a few little parts I just wasn’t super fond of, that could just be because I’m a bit picky when it comes to writing and different ways of putting things and such. Anyway, I can gladly give this book four out of five bookshelves, and I’m more excited to read the next book in the series—A Sister’s Wish—when it comes out later this fall!
        Happy reading!


There's also a fantastic giveaway going on for this book! You should check it out here!



I received a copy of this book through the Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Shelley Shepard Gray and Avon Inspire Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment