Tuesday, April 12, 2016

My Bookshelf: Back in the Saddle by Ruth Logan Herne

The prodigal is coming home.
        It’s been a long time since Colt Stafford shrugged of his cowboy legacy for shiny Manhattan loafers and a promising career on Wall Street. But when stock market manipulations leave him financially strapped, the oldest son of legendary rancher Sam Stafford decides to return to the sprawling Double S ranch in Gray’s Glen, Washington. He’s broke, but not broken, and it’s time to check in with his ailing father and get his legs back under him by climbing into the saddle again.
        He doesn’t expect to come home to a stranger pointing a loaded gun at his chest—a tough yet beautiful woman that Sam hired as the house manager. Colt senses there’s more to Angelina Morales than meets the eye and he’s determined to find out what she’s hiding…and why.
        Colt’s return brings new challenges. Younger brother Nick has been Sam’s right-hand man at the ranch for years and isn’t thrilled at having Colt insert himself into Double S affairs. And the ranch’s contentious relationship with the citizens of Gray’s Glen asks all the Stafford men to examine their hearts about what it truly means to be a neighbor. And as Wall Street recovers, will Colt succumb to the call of the financial district’s wealth and power—or find the courage to stay in the saddle for good?


        Back in the Saddle is the first book in Ruth Logan Herne’s Double S Ranch series, and is also the first book I have ever read by her. I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect going in, but I was hopeful that it would be an enjoyable story, and I was not disappointed. However, there were just a few stylistic things that bothered me a bit, but it wasn’t too much and therefore didn’t really interfere with my interest in this book. I still really loved the storyline and the characters, so you can be sure I’ll be reading more by Ruth in the future.
        Colt Stafford is the prodigal son personified. He left his father’s ranch years ago, determined to never come back, until his financial situation and his father’s health make staying away impossible. Upon his return, he meets Angelina Morales, his father’s new house manager, and is immediately taken with her, but is wary of the secrets he knows she keeps. However, as time goes on, Colt starts to wonder if going back to Wall Street is actually what he wants to do, or if there is so much more for him in his hometown of Gray’s Glen.
        I loved Angelina Morales immediately. Her pluck, her spitfire, and her determination to keep her family safe are just a few of the many things I admire about her, and I love the way she constantly took anyone who stepped out of line to task. The way she took care of Sam through his illness, and helped him as he finally accepted Christ and attempted to change his ways, are some of my favorite things about her, and I just love her little secret! Clearly I cannot tell you what it is, and I obviously don’t love the circumstances that made it a secret, but I just love it! You’ll figure out what I mean when you read the book.
        All in all, I really, really enjoyed this story, despite the few things that bothered me, and I’m definitely glad I have my own copy of it. Because of the little bit of stylistic issues, however, I’ve decided to only give this novel four out of five bookshelves. It still does come highly recommended from me, and I’m so excited to read more in this series. Especially since the next book is Nick’s story! I’m so excited to see how everything works out for him and his daughters!
        Happy reading!


I received a copy of this book from the Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

Photo credits go to my fabulous sister, Allie, whose blog you can visit here.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Ruth Logan Herne and Multnomah Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment