Tuesday, April 19, 2016

My Bookshelf: The Bachelor Girl’s Guide to Murder by Rachel McMillan

Beneath the façade of a wealthy aristocrat may beat the black heart of a killer…
In 1910 Toronto, most girls are perfecting their domestic skills and finding husbands.
        But Merinda Herringford and Jem Watts have never been ordinary. As the two detectives launch their business, the deaths of two young Irish women lead them deep into the mire of the city’s underbelly.
        While searching for answers, donning disguises, and sneaking around where no proper ladies would ever go, they pair with Jasper Forth, a police constable, and Ray DeLuca, a reporter in whom Jem takes a more than professional interest. Merinda could well become Toronto’s premiere consulting detective, and Jem may just find a way to put her bachelor girlhood behind her forever—if they can stay alive long enough to do so.


The Bachelor Girl’s Guide to Murder is the first book in Rachel McMillan’s Herringford and Watts Mysteries series, and is also the first book I have ever read by her. I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect going in, but I will say I never expected there to be so many funny parts! Rachel is definitely very clever, and I really enjoyed all of the funny little notes she added to the bottom of many of the pages. However, I will be honest and say that the story was just a little slow for me, and some of the interactions seemed a little forced. But other than that, I definitely enjoyed this story.
Merinda Herringford has so much determination to be Toronto’s most renowned detective, and that is what makes her perfect! She knows what she wants and goes after it, no matter what society thinks. She looks after Jem; well, when she isn’t fired up about one investigation or another. And I just love the way she is totally ignorant of Jasper Forth’s true feelings for her. Though I do hate that her ignorance hurts him because I am quite fond of him. Either way though, I still love her peculiarities, as they are some of my most favorite parts about her.
Jemima Watts is such a sweet, innocent character. Although I will say she certainly does have her fair share of fire and spunk! Her determination not to be the proper society lady her parents always planned her to be is so inspiring, and I love her faithfulness to Merinda. And she is so adorably awkward with Ray DeLuca! I couldn’t help but laugh over her hilarious attempts at trying to get him to notice her. The two of them really are the perfect pair, in my opinion, and I loved how this book focused a good deal on their story.
All in all, I definitely enjoyed this cute little story, and I am excited to read more of Rachel’s Herringford and Watts Mysteries! I am happy to give this book four out of five bookshelves, and I would definitely recommend it, especially for wonderful, light summer reading. It was a perfectly adorable little story, and it was the perfect debut for Rachel’s writing career!
Happy reading!


I received a copy of this book from the Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

Photo credits go to my fabulous sister, Allie, whose blog you can visit here.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Rachel McMillan and Harvest House Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment