Tuesday, February 3, 2015

14 Days of Love: Day Two

                I am so sorry this is late (I know day two was yesterday), but, better late than never. Today’s item I love is an amazing book I call one of my absolute favorites. When I say favorite, in this instance, I mean favorite. I have only read a handful of books that I can say I loved as much as this one.
                I know, I know, what is it called, you ask? Whispers from the Shadows. Amazing title, right? It is by a wonderful author named Roseanna M. White, who has impressed me with every one of her books. The ones I have read, that is. And I have read most of them.
                Anyway, Whispers from the Shadows is a book based during the war of 1812 about a young man named Thad and his family, who run a spy ring, for the US, of course. His parents, Bennet and Winter Lane, were spies for the Revolution when they met, and their story is told in Ring of Secrets. They formed an unlikely friendship with Colonel Fairchild, a colonel for the British army, in that novel, and they continued their friendship through the years in-between the two stories.


                Because of circumstances I cannot tell you without spoiling the book, Colonel Fairchild, who had moved back to England, sends his daughter, Gwyneth, into the care of Bennet, Winter, and Thad at the beginning of Whispers from the Shadows. Through war scares, a mystery, and the pain of the separation from her father, Gwyn struggles to adapt to life in the US. Eventually, though, she finds her place, in Maryland, and in the Lane family. I don’t want to give anything away, but I will say the book is full of comical scenes, suspenseful chapters, and sweet moments that will keep you hooked until the last page. It is absolutely worth the read! Go check it out!!
{ Below is the synopsis, and yes, that is my copy of the book above (: }

I love her... can I trust her?
I love him... is he safe?
          1814—England and America are again at war. Sudden and implacable treachery causes Gwyneth Fairchild's world to crumble in a moment's time. The daughter of a British general, she barely saves her life by fleeing London aboard a ship bound for America. Her goal is to find refuge with the Lane family in Maryland. Yet after meeting the Lanes' son, Thaddeus, Gwyn wonders how safe she is. For she discovers that this family trades in a dangerous commodity—espionage. 
Thad Lane is a prominent citizen in the city of Baltimore. He has the ear of everyone, and he is in a unique position to pass on to leaders of government exactly what he hears. Not long after the beautiful and British Gwyneth Fairchild finds safe haven in his community, he experiences the tug of love, though he fears it may blur lines of loyalty. With family playing the part of enemies and enemies proving themselves friends, a future with Gwyn is more than uncertain—it could be life threatening. 
          In the end, with the British advancing relentlessly on Baltimore, Thad and Gwyn have to trust in their shared faith in God to be a shield about them. To give them a future and a hope.[1]

          Don't forget to check out the blogs my sisters, Sarah and Allie, have as they do 14 Days of Love along with me!




[1] All credit for the above synopsis and for the wonderful book go to Roseanna M. White and her publishers. No copyright intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment