Tuesday, June 27, 2017

My Bookshelf: The Captain’s Daughter by Jennifer Delamere

London 1879. Forced to leave all she loves behind, she seeks a new life in a city bursting with opportunity, but fraught with danger.
When a series of circumstances beyond her control leaves Rosalyn Bernay alone and penniless in London, she chances upon a job backstage at a theater putting on the most popular show in the city. A talented musician and singer, she feels immediately at home and soon becomes enthralled with the idea of pursuing a career on the stage. That is, as long as the shadows from her past don’t catch up with her.
After a hand injury forces Nate Moran from his army regiment in India, he returns home to London, a place that holds bitter memories. He agrees to fill in temporarily as a stagehand while his brother recuperates from a broken leg, but Nate is counting down the days until he can rejoin his regiment. His future is decided—until he meets a beautiful woman who has found a new lease on life in the very place Nate yearns to leave behind.



The Captain’s Daughter is the first book in Jennifer Delamere’s London Beginnings series, and is also the first book I have ever read by her. As usual, I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect when I picked up this novel, but since I always jump at the chance to be an influencer for new stories, there was no question I would take a chance on this one. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised by Jennifer’s wonderful portrayal of what London and the theater was like in 1879, and I quickly found a place in my heart for Rosalyn and Nate. They each had their own unique story unlike any I had ever read before, and that helped to draw me in from the start, though I did find some of the dialogue to be a little rudimentary at times.
With danger, heartbreak, and new adventures at every turn, The Captain’s Daughter draws you in with each new development, and the happy ending is just as sweet as can be. I would definitely recommend this story, although it is something I would consider more of a light summer read than a heavier, deeper type of novel. Either way, I really enjoyed it, and can happily give it four out of five bookshelves. Jennifer is a wonderful author, and I am excited to read more of her novels in the future!
Happy reading!



I received a copy of this book through the Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for only my honest review.

To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.


All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Jennifer Delamere and Bethany House Publishers.

1 comment:

  1. Hiii! I am finally at a space in time where I can read again. I am so glad 2 see you back on the blog and offer book suggestions.
    I hope you and your sister are both well!

    ReplyDelete