Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Bookshelf: All’s Fair in Love and Cupcakes by Betsy St. Amant

Kat Varland has had enough of chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
        At twenty-six years old, Kat is still living in the shadows of her family in Bayou Bend, Louisiana. Still working shifts at her Aunt Maggie’s bakery. Still wondering what to do with her passion for baking and her business degree. And still single.
        But when Lucas Brannen, Kat’s best friend, signs her up for a reality TV bake-off on Cupcake Combat, everything Kat ever wanted is suddenly dangled in front of her: creative license as a baker, recognition as a visionary…and a job at a famous bakery in New York.
        As the competition heats up, Lucas realizes he might have made a huge mistake. As much as he wants the best for Kat, the only thing he wants for himself—her—is suddenly in danger of slipping away.
        The bright lights of reality cooking wars and the chance at a successful career dazzle Kat’s senses and Lucas is faced with a difficult choice: help his friend achieve her dreams…or sabotage her chances to keep her in Louisiana.


        All’s Fair in Love and Cupcakes by Betsy St. Amant is the first book I have ever read by her, but has immediately made me one of her biggest fans. I absolutely MELTED my way through this wonderful romance, and know that I will be reading it many, many more times in the future. There aren’t even words to describe what all made this novel as perfect as it was, but I will attempt to scratch the surface. And I believe I’ll begin with the best part/character of all, Lucas Brannen.
        Lucas Brannen has quickly become one of my favorite heroes of all time. If men like him really exist in this world, I would be extremely surprised, and would immediately set out to find one of them for myself. Although Lucas definitely has his moments when he makes decisions he probably shouldn’t make and aids in TONS of arguments between himself and Kat, the wonderful things he does just to express his love for her absolutely knocked me off my feet and made me wish for a fainting couch. By the time I made it to the end of the book and realized even more just how amazing he was, tears filled my eyes with each new way he showed how much he loved Kat. His selfless, compassionate, caring and loving actions towards Kat go to show just how true love is supposed to be; I promise you that you won’t be able to make it through this novel without falling for him too.
        Kat Varland is also another wonderful character, but for totally different reasons. Although she may not have shown her love for Lucas in the same way he expressed his love for her, she loved him just the same, and that was extremely obvious throughout this book. The main thing that makes Kat so special, however, is the way she completely underestimates herself for the majority of the story. Even though she is an amazing woman who is extremely talented when it comes to baking cupcakes, she has so much trouble believing that about herself. She gives humble a new meaning, but she could use a little confidence just the same. If I could say any one thing that makes her wonderful is the fact that she is so completely relatable. Everyone has a time when they see themselves as less than special, and the fact that Kat—talented and beautiful as she is—feels that way through most of the book makes her so easy to relate to.
        All’s Fair in Love and Cupcakes is a novel that is well deserving of all five bookshelves, and a place on my all-time favorites list. I am so glad that I took a chance and purchased it when I found it on sale at my bookstore, because if I hadn’t, I might never have stumbled upon such a sweet, heart-melting, lovable story. I highly recommend this book to absolutely everyone, because its quality writing, excellent storyline, and perfect example of what true love is should be enjoyed by everyone. Besides, it isn’t like it is a hard novel to enjoy!
        Happy reading!


To see where I’m linking up, check out my Where I Party page.

Photo creds go to my amazing sister, Allie, whose blog you can visit here.

All credit for the italicized synopsis goes to Betsy St. Amant and Zondervan Publishing.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun and heart-warming read. Thanks for sharing. By the way, Hi, just wanted to let you know that I have nominated you for Liebster and Blogger Recognition awards. Read more at my post here: http://maryanderingcreatively.com/mary-andering-creatively-receives-awards/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for nominating me! And thanks for visiting!

      Delete